The Carsey Social Innovation Internship 2011 Organization & Internship Descriptions
The Carsey Social Innovation Internship 2011 Organization & Internship Descriptions
Scroll down to read about each opportunity
- CCA Global Partners (online platform for nonprofits)
- Idea Greenhouse
- More Than Wheels (social media strategy)
- Pax World (sustainability research)
- Revolution Energy (marketing/education)
CCA Global Partners - www.ccaglobalpartners.com
CCA for Social Good is a division of CCA Global Partners, Inc. CCA Global, headquartered in Manchester, NH, is one of the largest privately held companies in the United States. CCA has a successful track record of helping small businesses survive and thrive by working together to attain scale. CCA pools the purchasing of independent businesses and provides them with training and services to improve their management expertise.
CCA for Social Good is the brainchild of CEO, Howard Brodsky. After many years of serving on nonprofit boards and community organizations, he observed that nonprofits struggle with many of the same issues with which small businesses struggle. He reasoned that the infrastructure of CCA Global could be leveraged for the benefit of nonprofits. In 2009, CCA launched CCA for Social Good to create a series of online platforms full of cost savings, tools, and resources to help nonprofits. One of these platforms is currently fully functioning and up and running with hundreds of active users. In the summer of 2011, working closely with the NH Center for Nonprofits, CCA will launch two new platforms, one for all nonprofits in the United States and one specifically for all nonprofits in the state of New Hampshire. The platforms or websites will be full of resources for Advocacy, Board Management, Fundraising, Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Savings, and much more. The goal of the platforms is to provide nonprofits with the tools to operate more efficiently and effectively so that nonprofits can concentrate their energies where it really counts: on their missions.
Social Innovation Internship at CCA Global Partners:
CCA for Social Good is a tiny division with only two people. The intern will become part of the day-to-day hands-on team to help launch this exciting nationwide effort. Responsibilities range from researching and writing content, managing data, vetting vendors, formatting documents, to scheduling meetings and making copies. Think of the range of tasks involved in starting a new business. That in fact is what this is, a start-up within a big company. If you are looking for an opportunity to jump in and be intimately involved in launching this herculean effort, if you are a flexible, resourceful person, if no task is too big or too small for you, if you like to work hard and laugh too, and if you would like to become part of this groundbreaking effort which will serve as a model for nonprofit organizations across the United States, this internship is for you.
Idea Greenhouse - www.ideagreenhouse.biz
Idea Greenhouse is a membership-based home for the region’s many creative, entrepreneurial people to grow their great ideas. We help provide the space, culture, community, and relationships that make new ventures possible. We are a cross between a community meeting space, business incubator, educational center, and small business support center. We seek to produce outcomes that are civic, community economic development, and socially innovative in nature. Currently organized as a for-profit private LLC, IGH intends to transition to non-profit status in 2011. IGH creates revenue primarily through rental of office/workspace, event fees, marketing sponsorships, and sale of memberships.
Idea Greenhouse serves as a community meeting space and an incubator for civic, philanthropic, and community development initiatives in Durham and the region. Several members are the founders and directors of socially innovative businesses and organizations, particularly in the green/clean energy space.
Social Innovation Internship at Idea Greenhouse:
The Social Innovation Intern will assist IGH Director Tom Elliott is a number of programming and marketing opportunities. They will also initiate and “own” a revenue-producing project that will support the internship in a direct financial way.
More Than Wheels - www.morethanwheels.org
Founded in 2001, More Than Wheels (formerly Bonnie CLAC) is the only nonprofit car organization in the country that uses a uniquely comprehensive set of services to help struggling families and individuals break the cycle of poor financial decision making using the car buying process to catalyze lasting change, financial stability, and control. The program can save a client more than $10,000 and provide the empowering skills and confidence to achieve a lasting positive impact to the client's work, life, and health.
Since inception, More Than Wheels has served more than 1400 people, arranging for over $14M in loans. After all, a car is not a luxury. It’s a necessity. It’s how people get to work. It’s how they get to the grocery store. It’s how they get their kids to a doctor’s appointment. Unfortunately, it can also land them in an overwhelming cycle of debt.
More Than Wheels gives people a better way to buy a car, providing a proven and effective set of tools that helps them get back on the road to financial freedom. It’s a program that demands hard work and diligent financial planning, but the results have been life-changing for those willing to see it through.
As a result of obtaining reliable and affordable transportation and empowered with new knowledge and skills, many are able to improve their job prospects, their family’s health and well-being, their credit and overall financial stability. A survey conducted by the Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire showed:
- 75 percent reported spending less on car repairs.
- 73 percent reported a better overall financial outlook.
- 50 percent are better able to get to their jobs.
- 52 percent had improved access to health care.
- 38 percent have improved access to nutritious food options.
Our funding model is a combination of earned fees and support from philanthropy.
Social Innovation Internship at More Than Wheels:
We would be looking for an intern to assist us in kicking off the building of a community of clients, and supporters through social media. We are assembling a client advisory group, and have applied for a Vista volunteer who would start work in September. We are looking for someone who can assist us in developing both the strategy and beginning implementation work and setting up the position for the vista volunteer. The intern would be under the direct supervision of Debby Miller (NH Executive Director) and Susan Chadwick (Marketing Manager). The intern will meet with Terri Steingrebe (CEO) in building the strategy and helping to prepare Terri to take on an active role in communicating via social media.
Pax World - www.paxworld.com
Pax World Management LLC, the investment adviser to Pax World Funds, is a recognized leader in Sustainable Investing, the full integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into investment analysis and decision making. Pax World launched the financial industry’s first socially responsible mutual fund in 1971. Today, Pax World offers a comprehensive platform of Sustainable Investing solutions including Pax World Funds, a family of no-load mutual funds; ESG Managers™ Portfolios, multi-manager asset allocation funds powered by Morningstar Associates; ESG Shares®, the first family of ETFs devoted exclusively to a Sustainable Investing approach; and separately managed accounts for institutional investors.
Pax World seeks to invest in forward-thinking companies with sustainable business models. To identify those companies, we combine rigorous financial analysis with equally rigorous environmental, social, and governance analysis. The result, we believe, is an increased level of scrutiny that helps us identify better-managed companies that are leaders in their industries; that meet positive standards of corporate responsibility; and that focus on the long term. By investing in those companies, we intend for our shareholders to benefit from their vision and their success.
Pax World is a rapidly growing small company headquartered in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, with a friendly, collegial and growth-oriented professional work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to high standards of corporate social responsibility, both in our investment approach and in the way we try to conduct our own business.
Social Innovation Internship at Pax World:
The intern’s role and responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct research on the environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues that illuminate Pax World’s ESG analysis and principles
- Assist the sustainability research department with research related to sustainable investing
- Pax World is a recognized leader in sustainable investing, and identifying and analyzing ESG issues and trends is important to our success. As noted above, the research conducted by our sustainability interns helps us in that endeavor.
The Director of the Sustainability Research Department will supervise the intern.
Revolution Energy - www.rev-en.com
At Revolution Energy (Revolution), we take the hassle out of renewable and alternative energy systems by crafting creative financing solutions through tools such as long-term power purchase agreements, service and performance contracts with regional businesses, schools (public & private), and municipalities. A typical solar PV project is 100 kW and offsets 1,159,200 lbs of CO₂, reducing a client’s dependency on fossils fuels by over 67,000 gallons and takes over 110 passenger cars off the road during its typical contract term. The following programs are Revolution’s main sources of income:
- Power Purchase Agreements: The customer agrees to purchase the electricity produced at an agreed upon rate over a period of time, allowing installation of renewable energy systems at little or no upfront cost.
- Service Agreements: After the desired energy system is installed, the customer pays a flat annual rate and Revolution guarantees output and is responsible for all necessary service and maintenance responsibilities during the contract.
- Performance Agreements: Revolution models energy savings from multiple renewable technologies and efficiency improvements and the customer pays a portion over the savings generated, allowing for systems to be installed for no upfront cost and with annual payments less than current energy expenses.
Revolution Energy is a 2010 recipient of the Green Launching Pad Award.
Social Innovation Internship at Revolution Energy:
Revolution Energy is in need of an education/marketing support intern to help develop the message of the company as we move into a growth phase. The development of our core business has been our main focus in the past few years. The following responsibilities would be a good set of expectations we would have of this intern:
- Organization of all current marketing materials
- Proof and adjust all marketing materials as needed
- Develop new content for any new materials needed
- Support sales team in market research or competitive analysis
- Create a list of competitors for RE to compare services & pricing against
- Provide fresh content for RE website
- Prepare a “project template” to be used as case studies on & offline.
- Support to curriculum deployment to educational clients
Additionally, engineering students are also welcome to apply given the potential need for engineering support.
The intern will report to Mike Behrmann, but will be expected to work independently with a fast paced group.
- About Us
- Policy and Research Areas
- Carsey Initiatives
- Carsey Research
- Center on Social Innovation and Finance
- About the Center on Social Innovation and Finance
- Professional Programs
- Undergraduate Resources
- Applied Research
- Upcoming Events
- Carsey Social Innovator of the Year Award
- Community and Environment in Rural America
- Master of Arts in Community Development Policy and Practice
- NH Listens
- Stonyfield Entrepreneurship Institute
- Sustainable Microenterprise and Development Program
- 2013 Webinar Series
- New Hampshire - June 2013
- Tanzania - November 2013
- Ghana - March 2014
- Togo - March/April 2014
- Making the Road - Blog
- Tracking Changes in the North Country
- Carsey on Campus